Brevard County is a county in the U.S. state of Florida. As of the 2010 census, the population was 543,376, making it the 10th largest county in Florida. Brevard County comprises the Palm Bay, Melbourne, and Titusville metropolitan area. It is located along the east coast of Florida along the Atlantic Ocean. The county is named after Theodore Washington Brevard, an early Florida settler. Influenced by the presence of the John F. Kennedy Space Center, Brevard County is also known as the Space Coast.
The economy of Brevard County employs 241,915 people. The economy of Brevard County is specialized in Administration, Support, Waste Management Services, Accommodation & Food Service, and Real Estate. The largest industries in Brevard County are Healthcare & Social Assistance, Retail trade, and Manufacturing. The highest paying industries are Mining, Oil and Gas Extraction, Professional, Scientific, Tech Services, and Utilities. The largest universities in Brevard County are Eastern Florida State College and Florida Institute of Technology. Florida’s Space Coast has over 72 miles of accessible ocean beaches, space-age attractions, America’s most diverse estuary, and the largest sea turtle nesting area in the country.
The Space Coast is home to Port Canaveral, one of the largest cruise ports in the world with Disney Cruise Lines, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian Cruise Lines and Carnival Cruise Lines, deep-sea fishing charters, twice daily gaming cruises on Victory Casino Cruises, and waterfront dining/entertainment. Other notable attractions that define Brevard County include:
- Florida’s largest manatee and sea turtle habitats
- Home of America’s Space Program and live rocket launches
- Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex
- Cocoa Beach (the east coast surfing capital)
- Ron Jon Surf Shop
- Brevard Zoo (one of the highest rated zoos in the country)
- Championship golf courses
- World class fresh, brackish and salt-water fishing
- Offshore gaming on Victory Casino Cruises
- Four downtown districts with shopping, dining and entertainment
- Eau Gallie Arts District and Foosaner Art Museum
- Airboat and kayak ecotours
- Hidden Gems Self-Guided Driving Tours
- The largest Birding and Wildlife Festival in the U.S.
The Space Coast is just 45-minutes east of Orlando. Cities located on Florida’s Space Coast include Titusville, Cape Canaveral, Cocoa, Cocoa Beach, Melbourne, Viera, Melbourne Beaches, and Palm Bay. Additional information about Brevard County can be found here: http://www.visitspacecoast.com